- Demonstration of behind-OLED integration of trinamiX solution into smartphone reference design by Qualcomm Technologies
- Setting a new gold standard for biometric authentication in Android devices: Certified security according to FIDO Alliance, Android Biometric Security and IIFAA for mobile payment
- High-security authentication solution operates within the Qualcomm® Trusted Execution Environment
Maui, Hawaii (USA), November 15, 2022 – During the Snapdragon Summit 2022, trinamiX GmbH (Ludwigshafen/Rhine, Germany), a leader in biometric solutions, announced the first demonstration of behind-OLED face authentication running on the latest Snapdragon® 8 Gen 2 Reference Design.
The optimised solution runs fully invisible behind the device’s OLED display, while also setting highest biometric security standards for future smartphones. The solution combines easy and fast unlock with maximum data protection and also enables a full-screen viewing experience for users.
The integration of trinamiX Face Authentication into the Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 reference design in this demonstration brings together two very complementary technologies, both focusing on maximum data protection. These include an authentication solution with a novel liveness check to protect users against sophisticated fraud attempts and the Qualcomm® Trusted Execution Environment (TEE) for secure collection and processing of the user’s biometric data.
“Providing highest data security is of interest to the entire mobile ecosystem,” said Asaf Shen, Senior Director of Product Management, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. “At Qualcomm Technologies, we have made data security an integral part of our mobile platform – which makes our work with trinamiX essential. The certified security of trinamiX Face Authentication perfectly complements our technology.”
trinamiX Face Authentication was certified according to the International Internet Finance Authentication Alliance (IIFAA), FIDO Alliance and Android in 2021. It is approved for use in mobile payment applications and on Android devices, setting the new gold standard for biometric authentication on Android phones.
The authentication solution’s unique potential is rooted in the underlying system design and algorithms, which were developed and patent-protected by trinamiX. The algorithms perform a liveness check based on the detection of human skin – adding a novel security feature to common user recognition and detection. By running all software components in the Qualcomm TEE, the biometric data collected during the authentication process is fully protected against third-party access as well as any tampering during the authentication process.
Protecting what people value the most
trinamiX is now showcasing its fully integrated solution. “We are very excited to be part of the Snapdragon Summit 2022 – an event leading the way into the future of mobile technologies,” stated Wilfried Hermes, Director Consumer Electronics at trinamiX. During the event, trinamiX highlighted what this future will look like: filled with smartphones that better protect the user’s privacy without compromising on convenience and design. “In recent years, our smartphones have turned into our wallets and the safekeepers of our most valuable memories,” further noted Hermes. “It’s time for the protective measures to take the next steps as well – by combining the latest innovations from trinamiX and Qualcomm Technologies, we are now enhancing the protection all smartphone users deserve.”
- Invisible performance behind display for full-screen viewing experience
- Throughout the development process, trinamiX put as much emphasis on security as on usability. While full-screen displays pose a huge problem to previous-generation face authentication solutions, trinamiX has solved this challenge and managed to earn the highest-possible security certifications with the required hardware mounted invisibly behind the display.
- “By integrating trinamiX Face Authentication, smartphone manufacturers can finally unlock new display design possibilities without punchholes or notches,” said Ingmar Bruder, Founder and CEO of trinamiX. “Future smartphones will not only fully protect your data, but also provide users with the convenience of face authentication with an undisturbed viewing experience.”
About trinamiX GmbH
trinamiX GmbH develops cutting-edge biometric and mobile NIR spectroscopy solutions, which are used in both consumer electronics and industrial designs. The company’s products enable humans and machines to better capture data with the goal of understanding the world around us. This results in improved decision making as well as stronger biometric security. trinamiX, based in Ludwigshafen (Germany), was founded in 2015 as a wholly owned subsidiary of BASF SE. The company employs over 200 people worldwide and holds more than 370 patents and patent applications.