Inflation is currently in the daily news, with much of the focus on energy and food prices. However, these are not the only items that are affected.
Between 2011 and 2021, the annual average rate of change for prices of recreational and sporting services in the EU was 2.0 %, which was a faster increase than that of the all-items HICP (+1.4 %). For recreational and sporting services, the annual average rate of change fell in the period 2011-2016 before rising again during 2017-2019 and stabilising at 2.2 % in 2019-2021.
Monthly data for 2022 show a significant increase in headline inflation: from +5.6 % in January to +9.8 % in July. While the annual rate of change for recreation and sporting services also saw an increase, it was not as large (from +3.4 % in January to +5.1 % in May). It then decreased to +4.2 % in July, but remained well above the figure for the same month of the previous year (+2.7 % in July 2021).
Meanwhile, the prices for equipment for sport, camping and open-air recreation saw more irregular changes over the same period: from 2011 to 2013, they rose slightly before falling in 2014-2015. After an increase in 2016, they fell in each year until 2019, then remained stable in 2020. Finally, they peaked at +1.3 % in 2021. Despite such fluctuations, this category recorded a very slight decrease in the annual rate of change over the years, falling by 0.2 % on average from 2011-2021.
Monthly data for 2022 also shows significant increases (from +2.2 % in January 2022 to +4.4 % in June), before slowing in July (+4.0 %).
For more information:
- Statistics Explained article on consumer prices of sporting goods and services
- Dedicated section on harmonised indices of consumer prices
- Database on harmonised indices of consumer prices
- Visualisation tool on consumer price levels
- Average indices reflect changes in EU membership (when a Member State joins the EU, its HICPs are chained with the aggregate index at the time of the accession).
- Recreational and sporting services: include attendance at sport events, such as services provided by sports stadiums or circuits for a sport or recreational event, visits to fairgrounds and amusement parks, and participation at sport events.
- Equipment for sport, camping and open-air recreation: include different types of equipment, e.g. for sport, fishing, open-air games and other items related to camping (such as tents, sleeping bags, backpacks), and activities related to repairing equipment for sport, camping and open-air recreation.