January 2022 ad spend in the US surpassed January 2021 by USD1.1 billion, growing +19 % year-over-year, hitting a new record high for the month.
This is according to Standard Media Index (SMI) who captures actual invoicing data from all major holding companies and most major independents, representing 95 % of national brand ad spend.
Findings also include:
- Digital remained the only channel with double-digit quarterly increases vs. the prior year, going back to Q4 2020.
- Linear TV also contributed to the upward momentum across channels YoY, as broadcast TV (+19 %) offset modest Cable TV decline (-3 %).
- OOH continues to make positive upward strides, rising +133 % in Jan 2022 YoY.
- Technology moved to the # 1 position once more, outperforming CPG as also seen in December, with a +31 % boost over Jan 2021. All subcategories within technology increased investment during January 2022, pushing the overall category +25 % beyond 2019 levels.
- Entertainment & Media (+49 %) expanded sharply as motion pictures and TV networks exhibited the heaviest upward momentum, leveraging Digital & returning to stronger linear TV presence YoY.
- Auto was the only category to experience a reduction in ad revenue, -7 % vs. Jan 2021.