Textile Exchange has opened the 2021 Material Change Index (MCI) Survey and now warmly invites brands, retailers, manufacturers, and suppliers to participate.
What is the MCI?
The MCI is the largest peer-to-peer comparison initiative in the textile industry. It tracks the apparel, footwear, and home textile sector’s progress towards sourcing more preferred fibers/materials, as well as alignment with global efforts like the Sustainable Development Goals and the transition to a circular economy. Find out more here.
Last year, more than 190 companies (including subsidiaries) voluntarily participated, including iconic fashion, home, and sports brands like C&A, Tchibo, Nike, Patagonia, H&M, Gap, Kering (Gucci), Ikea, Inditex (Zara), Target, New Balance, Adidas, and Burberry.
For the first time, in 2020, we piloted the MCI for manufacturers and suppliers and had 16 pioneering companies road test the program. You can see the “Special Insights” in the 2020 Material Change Insights Report (from page 124). This year, we aim to continue the pilot and welcome more suppliers to join in. As a result of last year’s work, we have developed a “companion guide” to support your benchmarking journey, and, in 2022, we will shift from pilot to full integration.
Participants tell us that just the act of completing the survey provides a valuable roadmap for improvement.
Participation is free and involves completing a survey based on your 2020 sourcing, including volumetric data of preferred materials/fibers, your materials strategy, and how you integrated this into your business. All participants receive a confidential scorecard and the opportunity to show leadership and transparency through the MCI Leaderboard.
How long do I have to complete the survey?
The survey submission period remains open from now until September 2021. The next step is a review by our expert team, which may involve us coming back to you for additional supporting evidence. The confidential company scorecards, 2020 MCI Leaderboards, Insights Reports, and Impact Dashboard will launch in March 2022.
Previous participants please note survey answers are automatically populated with the previous year’s answers, so you will just need to check responses, update them where necessary, and submit along with your consumption data for 2020.
We welcome all participants to get started now by logging into the CFMB portal
- Returnees: Companies that have previously benchmarked with us simply log in with your existing credentials.
- New Participants: Please register as a “new participant” in the CFMB portal here. Follow the simple steps of registration from the Portal User’s Guide and we welcome you to the 2021 MCI survey!
What Support is Available to Participants?
- Once registered, Textile Exchange will help you to get the most out of the benchmark in the following ways:
- 1. Join the Community Hub: your new go-to place for receiving frequent updates, participating in discussion posts, creating community dialogues, and for exploring the library which holds CFMB program webinar recordings, related reports, guides, and much more. Make sure you join the Companies Creating Material ChangeHub community, which you will find under My Communities.
2. Join our “Getting Started” webinars and drop into our live online benchmarking clinics: to be held via zoom during the submission window. Come along with your questions, concerns, or to hear from others. The schedule for these practitioner sessions will be available in The Hub. So please, make sure you become a member of the hub to access important dates.
3. Join our Conference: there will be breakout sessions during the 2021 Textile Sustainability Conference and we encourage all participants to join us for these special “bench-learning” opportunities.
Please feel free to contact the CFMB team at CFMB@TextileExchange.org with any questions.