‘This presentation is all about the power and the beauty of self-expression and about escaping and coming together as one to celebrate our creativity.
I have always been inspired by music and by its ability to transport your mind – how it can connect you with times, places and people beyond boundaries. Music has played a big role in my life, like a running soundtrack and energy throughout my youth. So many of my memories forged through music take me back to an incredible time when I was discovering myself – my voice, my identity, my creativity – sharing my experiences with friends and sometimes even strangers along the way. It was like being on a universal journey, brought together by a collective sense of openness, acceptance and opportunity.
I wanted the collection to capture that free spirit of youth and its honest and daring attitude, that sense of experimentation and fluidity. There is a strong feeling of unity but also of individuality – encouraging and uplifting each other to express ourselves freely. It’s a very raw energy that’s infectious, exciting and full of life. Like an awakening.’ Riccardo Tisci, Burberry Chief Creative Officer.
For the Burberry Spring/Summer 2022 menswear presentation, Riccardo Tisci melds the feelings of freedom and togetherness in an exploration of the forces that connect and inspire us – those which make us feel alive. Creating a moment of youthful positivity, the presentation gracefully centres on the power of the spiritual and the energy of music and movement.
Filmed in the outdoors, swathes of sand are contrasted against the minimalist and raw urban structure of the striking Millennium Mills in Royal Victoria Docks, East London. A slew of models cut a bold path through the set, each distinguished with daring individuality. In an unflinchingly honest representation of freedom of expression, the collection challenges conventional codes with assured fluidity. The looks brim with youthful experimentation and sensuality, expressed through rebellious faux piercing accessories and black leather halterneck vests, coats and briefs. Tailoring and outerwear are similarly readdressed with sleeveless non-conforming silhouettes and abstract prints. The collection’s name ‘Universal Passport’ can be seen emblazoned across sleeveless mesh T-shirts and cotton shirts, affirming the presentation’s message of connectivity and exploration.
A trance-like soundtrack acts as the anthem to draw together additional gatherings of revellers, interspersed throughout the space yet transported to another plane by the music of British-formed music group Shpongle. The music transcends the everyday to an open, uninhibited space where individuals come together to connect, actively participating in this collective experience to celebrate creativity without boundaries. An exaltation of dynamic youth.
Drawing upon Burberry’s long-standing support of community spirit and freedom of expression, Riccardo Tisci curates an energetic experience full of anticipation for the discovery of new and unknown spaces to explore together.
Outerwear staples are pushed to the fore in new sleeveless non-conforming silhouettes. The iconic trench coat is re-cut with raglan and panelled capped sleeves as well as with a stand collar. Cotton twill car coats forego collars and add buttoned shoulders, transforming the design into a boat-neck style. Sleeveless leather bomber jackets return with accentuated rib-knit trims and press-stud straps.
An experimental sense of freedom is conveyed throughout the collection, seen through black leather halterneck vests, coats, trousers and briefs. Cotton vests and hoodies are refashioned with organic-shaped leather panels and cut-out details for a rebellious take on staples. The playful chest plate motif printed across T-shirts and trench coats. The collection title, ‘Universal Passport’, featured on sleeveless mesh T-shirts and cotton shirts, affirming a message of connectivity and exploration.
An ode to the escapism of the outdoors continues. Sleeveless shirts, shorts and trousers with proliferated strap details, contrasting topstitched bib-front trousers and exaggerated adornments on hoods. Symmetrical rows of cargo straps fixed to the front of coats. A sleeveless leather funnel-neck dress and skirts crafted for movement. Abstract curved prints on sheer T-shirts, mesh vests and cotton shirts evoke the flowing forms of camouflage. Tailoring challenges the conventional. Coats and English-fit blazers with button-embellished lapels, worn with tailored trousers. Reconstructed shirts with layered turtlenecks, or bib-front button-down shirts.
In womenswear, a continuation of metallic finishes fused with the season’s sheer fabrics. Abstract motifs adorn a lamé slip dress layered under a printed sheer top. The trench in sequinned sheer fabric with zebra-print trims. Mirrored square sequins applied to bikinis with a wrap-around strap detail, worn under cargo trousers and a gilet quilted with a globe graphic motif.
Introducing new quilted check leather bags, including a backpack and crossbody, both embellished with the Thomas Burberry Monogram. Simply proportioned leather messenger bags with whipstitch straps in beige or monochrome, stamped with the ‘Universal Passport’ print.
Men’s panelled canvas high-top sneakers and leather high-top sneakers with ankle straps and technical trims. Women’s square sequin-embellished leather sandals with ankle straps and technical trims.
Burberry beige, bright red, peach pink, blue topaz and black and white.
HAIR AND MAKE-UP
Make-up: Isamaya Ffrench, Burberry Global Beauty Director
An oversized padded baseball cap with exaggerated tabs. Punk-inspired hoop jewellery in solid, transparent, metallic and tortoiseshell finishes. Chunky-knit headbands, worn atop leather and cotton-canvas baseball caps. Sporty new frames in eyewear including orange or black ski goggles, and transparent orange, pink or tortoiseshell acetate navigator sunglasses.
ABOUT THE CREATIVE TEAM
- Styling: Ib Kamara
- Make-up: Isamaya Ffrench, Burberry Global Beauty Director
- Hair: Jawara
- Choreography: Josh Johnson and Marquet Lee
- Directors: Partel Oliva
ABOUT THE MUSIC
- For Burberry’s Spring/Summer 2022 menswear presentation, Riccardo Tisci paid homage to music group Shpongle – using their song ‘Strange Planet’ for the presentation’s soundtrack.
- Shpongle is a psychedelic electronic music project from England, formed in 1996.
- The group includes Simon Posford (aka Hallucinogen) and Raja Ram (one of the three members of The Infinity Project).
- The duo are considered to be one of the progenitors of the psybient genre, combining world music with psychedelic ambient.
ABOUT THE MODELS
- We believe it is important to celebrate diversity in our campaigns and shows, and we have measures in place to ensure we assemble casts that are representative of our customers and communities.
- Models that walked in the Spring/Summer 2022 menswear presentation included Alexander Brodersen, Alexis Chaparro, Alvaro Silveira, Aweng Ade-Chuol, Ben Gibson, Charles Nwosu, Chris Alli, Claus Royo, Daniil Dmitriev, Erik Assman, Felice Noordhoff, George Wilson, Gia Bab, Janick Heilijgers, Jayden, Jaylon Dawson, Joan Smalls, Kayako Higuchi, Khalil Ghani, Manolo Theodosiou, Matteo Ferri, Miles Gardner, Nando Tholel, Nic Minwoo, Niclas Baker, Nozomu Ito, Nyasha Matonhodze, Reece Nelson, Rocinio Tuinfort, Sneako, Tashi Kwayie, Tyler Forbes.
ABOUT THE BURBERRY SPRING/SUMMER 2022 MENSWEAR PRESENTATION
- Burberry is inviting all guests to experience the presentation digitally.
- Only essential members of the production team will be on set, reducing the size of the overall cast. Strict health and safety measures will be in place, including daily Covid-19 testing, mandatory mask usage at all times, clear social distancing markers and barriers in place and enhanced cleaning of the location and equipment.
- All aspects of the performance are designed to maintain social distancing.
Carbon neutral events
- Burberry engaged an external health and safety advisor to ensure that the shoot and presentation preparation locations were Covid-19 secure and carefully monitored compliance on set at all times.
- This presentation will be certified carbon neutral. To achieve this, measures will be taken to reduce the environmental impact of the event before offsetting any remaining emissions through Burberry’s Regeneration Fund.
- Through the Burberry Regeneration Fund, Burberry supports a portfolio of carbon insetting and offsetting projects mapped to the footprint of its business.
- Supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals, these programmes are helping restore natural habitats and biodiversity, improving carbon capture and enhancing local communities with skills and training.
Burberry’s climate strategy
- Burberry’s ambition is to be Climate Positive by 2040, going further than net-zero by investing in key initiatives that support wider climate change efforts beyond its value chain.
- Burberry is on track to achieve its goal to be carbon neutral in its own operational energy use by 2022, as well as use 100 per cent renewable energy across its own operations in the same time frame.
- In September 2020, Burberry became the first of its luxury peers to issue a sustainability bond, enlisting the support of investors in delivering its sustainability goals.
- Underpinning this pledge is a series of commitments, including cutting emissions across Burberry’s extended supply chain by 46 % by 2030 and developing projects which support others in their own carbon journeys.
- Burberry is a global luxury brand headquartered in London, UK.
- Founded in 1856, Burberry is listed on the London Stock Exchange (BRBY.L) and is a constituent of the FTSE 100 index.
- BURBERRY, the Equestrian Knight Device, the Burberry check and the Thomas Burberry Monogram and print are trademarks belonging to Burberry.
- For more news visit www.burberryplc.com