‘For my first Burberry menswear-focused collection, I wanted to celebrate the freedom of expression. Enclosed indoors, I dreamt of the outdoors and its beauty, fuelled by the thought of the creativity that comes when we are together.
With this dream in mind, I became fascinated by the widespread British craft and outdoor movements of the early 20th Century, when people escaped to explore the unknown countryside. They formed communities with a deep respect for nature and the outdoors and looked forward to a future full of possibility. I was not only drawn to the artistry of their craft, colours and shapes, but also to their strong sense of camaraderie and friendship.
This collection is an homage to the relationship between humanity and nature, where we can break free and come together to discover new forms of expression. It’s for those who are defining their own path, whose strength and energy have inspired this Burberry collection.’ Riccardo Tisci, Burberry Chief Creative Office.
The Burberry Autumn/Winter 2021 menswear collection by Riccardo Tisci honours a deep connection to the outdoors, to creativity, to dreams. The presentation explores a new environment within Burberry’s flagship Regent Street store in London – the space is reconfigured as a wandering terrain.
The menswear collection gently challenges and subtly reinvents traditions, inviting freedom of expression. The collection itself is dynamic and young, vibrant and alive. Outerwear is key. Clothes are engineered to reflect motion and activity – with pleats, panels and fringes – as if moving in the wind. Layered pieces morph unexpectedly on the body. Tailoring has a sense of twisted classicism, whilst Burberry’s quintessential house codes – the trench coat and Burberry beige – are evolved.
The Burberry animal kingdom, a signature house code, is once again revisited through prints and shapes – a nod to the wilderness and the creatures within. Deer motifs inspire the silhouettes of knitted beanies, whilst boots and sneakers on moulded soles are also sculpted to resemble hooves. The collection’s distinct palette is tonal and rich, including Burberry beige, bark brown, oxblood burgundy, city greys and shirting shades of pale blue and pink. Details and decoration evoke the notion of ceremony through badges and adornments – symbolising community and friendship, codes of belonging.
The presentation location itself has a rich history of supporting craftsmanship and artistic expression: historically, 121 Regent Street was the site of an eminent gallery with its inaugural exhibition dedicated to arts and crafts. Today, this legacy is honoured, as the menswear collection is exhibited through a modern presentation in this same environment.
Tied intrinsically to founder Thomas Burberry’s creations, the idea of optimism and adventure underscores the collection. Modern explorers, pioneers and trailblazers are an inspiration; the garments have a function and purpose. They represent a reality but they are always worn by dreamers.
About the creative Team
- Styling: Ib Kamara
- Make-up: Isamaya Ffrench, Burberry Global Beauty Director
- Hair: Jawara
- Choreography: Josh Johnson & Natasia Basco
- Directors: Partel Oliva
About the music
- Riccardo invited British music supervisor, composer and arranger, Bridget Samuels, to collaborate as the Executive Music Producer for the Autumn/Winter 2021 menswear presentation soundtrack.
- Together, Riccardo and Bridget commissioned British composer and multi-instrumentalist, Peter Gregson, to create a reworking of his composition ‘Sequence (Four)’ exclusively for the presentation.
About the collection
The female models walking in Looks 14, 16 and 28 in the Autumn/Winter 2021 Menswear Presentation are wearing menswear product.
Responsibilities at Burberry
- Burberry is inviting all guests to experience the presentation digitally.
- Only essential members of the production team will be on set, reducing the size of the overall cast. Strict health and safety measures will be in place, including daily Covid-19 testing, mandatory mask usage at all times, clear social distancing markers and barriers in place and enhanced cleaning of the location and equipment.
- All aspects of the performance are designed to maintain social distancing.
- Burberry has engaged an external health and safety advisor to ensure that both shoot and presentation preparation locations are Covid-19 secure and will carefully monitor compliance on set at all times.
Carbon neutral events
- To support Burberry’s ambition to achieve a net-zero future, this presentation as well as all Burberry events, will be certified carbon neutral. To achieve this, measures will be taken to reduce the environmental impact of the event before offsetting any remaining emissions through Burberry’s Regeneration Fund.
- Through the Burberry Regeneration Fund, Burberry supports a portfolio of carbon insetting and offsetting projects mapped to the footprint of its business.
- Supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals, these programmes are helping restore natural habitats and biodiversity, improving carbon capture and enhancing local communities with skills and training.
Burberry’s climate strategy
- Burberry is on track to achieve its goal to be carbon neutral in its own operational energy use by 2022, as well as use 100 per cent renewable energy across its own operations in the same time frame (currently at 90 per cent).
- Underpinning this target are two climate goals approved by the Science Based Targets initiative, to reduce absolute scope one and two greenhouse gas emissions by 95 % by 2022 and absolute scope three greenhouse gas emissions by 30 % by 2030 (all from a 2016 base year).
- In February 2020, Burberry announced the launch of a Regeneration Fund to support a portfolio of verified carbon offsetting and carbon insetting projects to directly tackle the environmental impact of Burberry’s operations.
- In September 2020, Burberry became the first of its luxury peers to issue a sustainability bond, enlisting the support of investors in delivering our sustainability goals.
Burberry is a global luxury brand headquartered in London, UK. Founded in 1856, Burberry is listed on the London Stock Exchange (BRBY.L) and is a constituent of the FTSE 100 index.
BURBERRY, the Equestrian Knight Device, the Burberry check and the Thomas Burberry Monogram and print are trademarks belonging to Burberry.