- Over USD 1 billion of robotics R&D funding globally
- Huge per country differences
- Focus on Smart manufacturing, logistics, healthcare and agri-food
- AI, Big Data and 5G as technology drivers
Research and Development (R&D) of new robot technologies has become more important than ever before. Most countries invest in robotics – mainly at government level. This trend has been strengthened in recent years. Through diversification and the establishment of robot technologies, investment in new robot technologies has become larger than before, and the application spectrum of such R&D on robotics is now broader. New drivers such as artificial intelligence, Big Data and 5G will drive governments from Asia, Europe and America to further invest in robotics.
The targets of the officially driven government research funding programs are summarized for the first time by the International Federations of Robotics in its new paper “World Robotics R&D Programmes”.
What you will find…
In-depth information about the successful programs of 8 regions
- China’s Made in China 2025’, Development Plan of the Robot Industry (2016-2020) & Key Special Programme on Intelligent Robots
- Japan’s New Robot Strategy
- Korea’s Basic Plan on Intelligent Robots
- EU’s Horizon 2020 Robotics Workprogramme
- Germany’s Development of Digital Technologies
- Italy’s Governmental Robotics R&D Programmes
- Sweden’s Robotdalen & Framework Grants for Research on Smart Systems
- United States’ National Robotics Initiative, DoD Unmanned System & Robotics Programme & Mars 2020 Exploration Programme
Our members engage in an intensive exchange on new technologies and emerging robots at the International Symposium on Robotics (ISR). The ISR is the main conference of the IFR, being organized every year on a different continent and different country since 1970. The ISR is systematically organized in conjunction with an International Robot Exhibition. In 2019, it was held at the Automate show in Chicago, USA. In 2020, it is scheduled during automatica in Munich, Germany.
The IFR sponsors the prestigious IERA Award (Innovation and Entrepreneurship Award) together with IEEE Robotics and Automation Society (IEEE/RAS). The award recognizes outstanding achievements in commercialising innovative robot and automation technology.
These achievements will be recognized in a specially organized IEEE/IFR Joint Forum on Innovation and Entrepreneurship in Robotics and Automation, which is being held in conjunction with the International Symposium on Robotics (ISR) and the International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), respectively. A prestigious plaque will be awarded to each finalist and a USD 2000 prize will be awarded to the winner.
The full report can be donwloaded here