Total GMV increased 39 % compared to 2016
Alibaba Group Holding Limited (NYSE: BABA) announced that US$25.3 billion (RMB168.2 billion) of gross merchandise volume (GMV) was settled through Alipay on November 11, 2017, an increase of 39% compared to 2016. Mobile GMV settled through Alipay accounted for 90 % of total GMV.
“More than USD 25 billion of GMV in one day is not just a sales figure,” said Daniel Zhang, Chief Executive Officer of Alibaba Group. “It represents the aspiration for quality consumption of the Chinese consumer, and it reflects how merchants and consumers alike have now fully embraced the integration of online and offline retail.”
Key highlights from the 2017 11.11 Global Shopping Festival
The Alibaba Economy at Scale
- Total GMV settled through Alipay was RMB168.2 billion (USD 25.3 billion), an increase of 39 % compared to 2016
- Total mobile GMV settled through Alipay was approximately 90 % of total GMV, compared to 82% last year
- More than 140,000 participating brands and merchants
- Alipay processed 1.48 billion total payment transactions, up 41 % from 2016, and processed 256000 transactions per second at peak
- Alibaba Cloud processed 325,000 orders per second at peak
- Cainiao Network processed 812 million total delivery orders
- The first delivery arrived 12 minutes and 18 seconds after midnight
Globalization – Power of the Chinese Consumer
- 60,000 international brands and merchants available to Chinese consumers
- 225 countries and regions with completed transactions
- 167 merchants each generated more than RMB100 million (USD 15.1 million) in sales, 17 merchants surpassed RMB 500 million (USD 75.4 million) in sales, and 6 merchants surpassed RMB1 billion (USD 150.9 million) in sales
- Top countries selling to China include: Japan, United States, Australia, Germany, South Korea
About the 11.11 Global Shopping Festival
The 11.11 shopping festival began in 2009 with participation from just 27 merchants as an event for merchants and consumers to raise awareness of the value in online shopping. Last year, nearly 100000 brands and merchants participated in the global shopping event, with consumers spending USD17.8 billion (RMB 120.7 billion) during the 24-hour period. For additional history and facts from last year’s festival, as well as the latest news and updates on the 2017 11.11 Global Shopping Festival, please visit Alizila: http://www.alizila.com
GMV for the 11.11 Global Shopping Festival is the total value of orders settled through Alipay on Alibaba’s China retail marketplaces and AliExpress within a 24-hour period on November 11. It is reported on a real-time basis and includes shipping charges paid (where applicable). Transactions related to international brands, defined as brands created outside of Mainland China, and user data are limited to Tmall.
Alibaba Group’s operating results disclosed in this press release are denominated in RMB; year-over-year comparisons and growth rates are calculated on the basis of RMB amounts and are not affected by foreign exchange rate fluctuations. All translations of RMB into USD are made at USD 1 = RMB 6.6282, the central parity rate announced by the People’s Bank of China (PBOC) on November 10, 2017.
All GMV, mobile GMV and other figures presented in this press release are unaudited and subject to adjustments.