Seidentraum, a perfect German realised dream for organic silk
The story behind the German company Seidentraum (Silk Dream) in Leipzig is based upon the initiative of Dr Matias Langer, a long-experienced CEO in the sector of organic textiles and natural wear, and he founded the start-up in 2011. TextileFuture will give you more details on the various aspects of the company and the activities of Matias Langer will enlarge your horizon on how meaningful silk is and how manifold production and applications are
Seidentraum distributes textile goods with a focus on silk, sustainable and fair traded products. Langer’s credo: Business relations with partners should be fair and characterized by equal potential and confidence. His vision is the enlargement of the variety of organic (certified) silk (Bio-Silk) and non-violent silk (Peace Silk) textiles.
Seidentraum understands itself as a partner of designers, couturiers, tailors and hobby craftsmen.
Seidentraum is also a wholesale partner with special conditions for B2B clients. Our web-shop www.seidentraum.biz offers customers a wide range of fabrics and manufactured articles, such as scarves and clothing in the segment of Eco Fashion.
Silk is the queen of natural fibres
Silk is extremely long lasting, elastic and easy to look after. It is cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Silk fibres have a high moisture absorbability ( e.g. night time sweating). Silk fabrics give a soft, pleasant feel to the skin and takes a soothing comforting effect to irritated skin.
Certified organic silk from China – eco-friendly and fair
The first project dealing with a biodynamic silk culture was developed in China in 1995. For a number of years now the project SABA, a Swiss-Chinese joint venture by Alkena, produces real organic silk. Over the past 20 years about 600000 mulberry trees were planted in Sichuan. The leaves of the trees are the only source of nutrition the silkworm approves of. The trees are not merely grown as a monoculture, but flourish in close proximity of fruit and other types of trees following biodynamical methods. This guarantees a higher biodiversity and a less disastrous distribution of diseases due to the lower density. Artificial fertilizers, antibiotics and growth-enhancing hormones are avoided by all means to preserve a healthy balance. The silkworms profit from feed that is high in quality, which, subsequently, results in the production of valuable silk threads.
Social and responsible manufacturing
GOTS certified manufacturing guarantees social working conditions, prevents child labour and ensures a five-day week for the workers, which, in return, leads to an improved local economic balance. Fixed prices and purchase agreements give the workers security
Peace Silk from India – Luxury without bad conscience
This silk is produced without killing silkworms. AHIMSA is a Sanskrit term for the principal of non-violence, which reflects the attitude of mankind towards animals and nature in many eastern religions. So the silk is often referred to as Ahimsa silk or non-violent silk.
Principally, Ahimsa silk can be used wherever unpolluted and ethically acceptable fabrics play an important role. When used for the purpose of clothing (e.g. as bridal gown) or in interior design the silk will have a beneficial effect on the surroundings. The positive influence of the silk can even be applied in therapeutic work. These Indian partners respect social and sustainable working conditions.
Sustainability and CSR
Seidentraum’s products and philosophy are focussed on sustainability:
– Grown in a controlled organic origin
– Produced according GOTS Standards
– Originated from a Fair Trade business or cooperation
– Manufactured without child labour
– Sold directly by the producer
– For assembling Seidentraum is cooperating with the local handicrafts in Leipzig
– Demand we like to cover with regional suppliers in Saxony
– The delivery is executed climate neutral with GoGreen by DHL or totalzero by DPD)
– We use recycling or recycled packaging materials
– Our advertising flyer are printed (as far as possible) on recycled paper
-The stationery is mainly made of recycled material
– We avoid paper prints for internal use
– Our power sockets are supplied by Green Energy from Elektrizitätswerke Schönau
– We buy our gas for heating at POLARSTERN – Renewable Energies
– The money we confide in the GLS Bank that acts ethically responsible with our funds
– Our websites are hosted CO2-free by Strato
– Mobility we realize by public transport (LVB and DB)
– Our car we find at the nearest station of the car sharing company teilauto
The finest silk based on a fair and future- oriented relationship with people and the environment. Silk fabrics that are manufactured under environmental aspects and fair social conditions sustain the quality label GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard).
Organic Silk by Seidentraum is a genuine natural product with smooth qualities. It feels light and sensual on the skin, protecting it from the summer heat and the winter cold.
Peace Silk is the alternative for people who have a heart for animal life. Silk harvesting according to the principle of AHIMSA (sanskrit: non-violence) means that the silkworm completes its metamorphosis to the moth and hatchs the cocoon. Only empty cocoons were used for reeling the silk fibres.
The partners within the textile chain are working based on the standards of ILO, the International Labour Organization and additionally these comply with the rules of Fair Trade and the Fair Wear Foundation. The complete GOTS supply chain is transparent and trackable.
Seidentraum attaches importance to ecological and sustainable principles, therefore the company is member of the Partnership for Sustainable Textiles. Its manufacturing partners use only environmentally friendly and harmless chemicals for boiling, twisting, weaving and dyeing the fabrics.
Kusuma Rajaiah, owner of the patent for producing Ahimsa silk fabric in India in an interview
Mr. Rajaiah,who are the producers of the silk fibres?
I am purchasing the cocoons from the farmers and keep them for piercing naturally outside. Then I extract the fibre from the pierced cocoon at outsourcing.
What conditions are the basics for the work and the sale of the silk?
All our family members are involved in the work along with others. The labour is being paid as per their demands, which are very fair wages and more than prescribed by the government. The sale of the fabric is done from my home office.
Do the workers or weaving mills have contracts with you?
I have good relations with my weavers. For their work they will decide the wages and I am paying accordingly. They are working for me since 12 years happily.
What manufacturers are involved with the processing of the silk?
Only the farmers and the spinners.
Do they fulfil the commitments of the ILO?
They are meeting the local government labour laws.
What kind of contracts have the workers of the participated companies?Pertaining to spinners they follow the government rules.
Is it explicitly produced without children work?
Yes, and we strictly do not involve child labour.
Samatoa – An artisans and handicraft FairTrade project in Cambodia
Samatoa’s Ltd. mission is to offer Unique Handmade Quality Textiles made with love for Nature and Humanity. Exquisite clothing that allows the human body and spirit to reaffirm our deep connections to the natural world.
“Samatoa” means “fair” in Khmer. Pioneer of fair trade in Cambodia, Samatoa believes in sustainable fashion to elevate artisans to world status in the international fashion market.
The major committments
Samatoa has uncompromising commitments to quality clothing, fair-trade and environmental values.
They believe that eco fashion is defined not just by the use of natural fibres but by the use of fair trade Cambodian labour in every step of a sustainable fashion supply chain. Preserve the environment, paying people fairly, treating each person with respect and dignity are prerequisites for a sustainable business.
Samatoa actively work with over 120 experts in hand made fashion and fair trade in Cambodia: pattern-makers, dressmakers, quality supervisor, spinners, hand looming weavers and quality supervisor.
– Reduce as much as possible intermediaries between producers and clients.
– Utilize local potential (available materials, know-how).
– Diversify production and distribution chains in order to attain autonomy.
– Guarantee a fair price (to cover production costs and allow for the creation of socio- economical programs) and total transparency.
– Develop sustainable partnerships.
– Negotiation rights: participative organization which respects individual freedom of expression without discrimination.
– End to child labour excluding educational or training purposes.
– Respect of social criteria (guaranteed minimum salary, union rights, holiday entitlement, health and safety, no sexual discrimination and fair wages).
– Non-discrimination at all management level: recruitment, job allocation, remuneration, entitlement to social advantages, discipline and work contract termination. None of the following criteria may be used by Samatoa’s collaborators or partners to discriminate against: race, colour, sex, religious beliefs, political opinions, ethnic or social origins.
– Health program: Part of the benefits has been used since 2006 to create a collective insurance fund for all staff.
– Samatoa is committed to respecting specific eco systems, to the responsible use and conservation of natural resources.
– Samatoa only offers natural clothing produced with unconditional respect for nature and human kind.
– Samatoa only uses dyes that contain no heavy metals.
– The weaving is 100% manual using traditional looms requiring no polluting energy sources.
– No chemicals are used in the entire process from thread to finished products and neither are any substances that are toxic to humans and the environment.
– The natural fibres offered by Samatoa in no way compete with the food supply chain.
TextileFuture has seldom met an entrepreneur with such a decided and dedicated philosophy and credo, who did not only realize his dream, but translated it in an adapted management and a business with ever growing followers. His concept is really thought through and thus successful in every detail. TextileFuture is impressed by the high standards and the coherence the entire value chain of Seidentraum is followed through. Customers can be sure that they get a sustainable and beautifully cured and fashionable silk product. We like also the style of presentation corresponding with the luxury product silk, have a look for yourself by clicking at the first link below!