September 14, 2023
In 2022, a total of 14.7 million bicycles were produced in the EU.
This figure presents a 10 % increase in bicycle production compared to the previous year (2021), and a 29 % increase over the course of a decade from 2012 to 2022.
The biggest producer in 2022 was Portugal (2.7 million units), followed by Romania (2.6 million), Italy (2.5 million), Germany (1.7 million) and Poland (1.0 million).
Cycling fosters individual health and well-being, and, by potentially substituting for private car use, contributes to the reduction of air pollution. It’s an eco-friendly and health-conscious mode of transportation.
For more information:
- Statistics Explained article on PRODCOM
- Thematic section on production of manufactured goods
- Database on production of manufactured goods
- Data refers to PRODCOM code 30921000 ‘Bicycles and other cycles (including delivery tricycles), non-motorised’.
- Portugal, France and Bulgaria: Production on own account quantity.
- Data not available for Belgium, Latvia and Slovenia.
- Zero production reported by Estonia and Ireland.
- Cyprus, Luxembourg and Malta are exempt from collecting PRODCOM data.