In 2021, the EU Member States produced 3.6 million pairs of skis and individual snowboards (+3% compared with 2020). Almost half of these items (1.6 million) were produced by Austria.
With regards to trade, around 3.5 million pairs of skis and individual snowboards were exported to other EU countries. In the same year, the EU exported 2.3 million pairs of skis and individual snowboards to non-EU countries, and imported 0.8 million of the same items from non-EU countries.
Austria largest EU exporter; United States main non-EU destination
Across the EU Member States, the largest exporter to both EU and extra-EU countries was Austria, with more than a third of the exports (2 029 000 pairs of skis and individual snowboards, or 35%), followed by France (648 700, 11%) and Bulgaria (630 800, 11%). Compared with 2020, Austria recorded a decrease of 5 %, Bulgaria an increase of 12 % and France had the largest increase at 18 %.
When it came to exports to non-EU countries, around two-fifths of EU pairs of skis and individual snowboards were sent to the United States (937 000, or 41 % of total extra-EU exports of skis and snowboards). This was ahead of Canada (326 100, 14 %) and Norway (288 000, 13 %).
Austria largest EU importer; China main non-EU originator
Furthermore, in 2021, the largest EU importer to both EU and extra-EU countries was Austria, which accounted for a third of imports (1420200 pairs of skis and individual snowboards imported, or 33 %), followed by France (823400 items, 19 %) and Germany (405100 items, 9 %).
When it came to imports from non-EU countries, more than two-fifths of skis and individual snowboards originated from China (329800 items, or 42 % of total extra-EU imports of skis and snowboards), followed by Ukraine (152000, 19 %) and Russia (69400, 9 %).
For more information
- Statistics Explained article on International trade in sporting goods
- Statistics 4 Beginners workbook on trade
- Thematic section on international trade in goods
- Database on international trade in goods
- Thematic section on production of manufactured goods
- Database on production of manufactured goods
- Production data refer to PRODCOM code 32301131 ‘Skis, for winter sports’.
- The ranking for production data are based on available and non-confidential data (own sold production variable).
- International trade data refer to the combined nomenclature codes: